There are so many times when you have to compress (zip) a file or folder on Mac to send or share but the only way to do so is through the tedious right-click > Compress “file or folder”. That’s because, unfortunately, macOS does not support a native keyboard shortcut to compress files yet.
However, where there’s a will, there’s a way and the way here is to create a keyboard shortcut to compress files and folders yourself with any combination of keys you prefer. Just take a look at the following steps to know how to do it.
- Click the Apple logo (top left corner of the screen), select System Preference.
- Navigate to Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts.
- Click the + (plus icon).
- Choose Finder from “Application:” dropdown menu.
- Enter Compress for “Menu Title:”
- Click the input box beside “Keyboard Shortcut:” once, and record your preferred shortcut keystroke. (Suggestion: Use Shift + Command + C, or Option + Command + C)
- Click Add to finalize your shortcut.
That’s it! Select any file or folder on your Mac, execute the command, and it will be compressed immediately.
The post How to Compress Files & Folders with Keyboard Shortcut on Mac appeared first on Hongkiat.