Show Desktop is perhaps one of the most used actions on a desktop (at least for me it is). It has already been few times my Show Desktop shortcut corrupts itself out of no reason.
So just in case you are encountering the same thing or you don’t have a Show Desktop and intended to put one, here’s how you can create/restore them manually.
Create Show Desktop manually
- Launch a Notepad. Start -> Run -> Notepad
- Insert the following in the notepad [Shell] Command=2 IconFile=explorer.exe,3 [Taskbar] Command=ToggleDesktop
- Choose File -> Save as and save as Show Desktop.scf on desktop.
- Put it back where it was originally belonged.
- Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98 WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick Launch
- Microsoft Windows NT, Microsoft Windows 2000, and Microsoft Windows XP C:Documents and SettingsUsernameApplication DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick Launch
- Done! You should see a Show Desktop icon on your Quick Launch bar now.